Sunday 13 December 2015

43. The Trunk

After the main electrical wiring was done, the "rear" part came in focus.
The two harnesses, which go to the trunk are the only parts I will reuse from the original one. I changed the use of some wires to my needs and mounted it in the tunnel under the body.
Here you see the wiring harness entering the engine bay. The two narrow harness (harnesses ?) go down to the tunnel to the rear. In the area of the engine bay I covered them with the same monofilament tube to have the same look.

Inside the trunk everything looks easy - until I pulled on one wire, which is mounted in one of the main connectors.
Ups - I have the wire in my hand and the contact is still in the housing.
Perfect.
And you know from experiance, if one wire is crimped bad - check the whole connector.
Not crimped - just squeezed. Bad job.






















After I have reconnected both connectors using a crimping clamp, I go on to place the harness in the trunk.
By the way, the experiance told the truth - nearly every contact crimping was bad.
Check it out on your car...

 The fuel pump is mounted in rubber to keep the ticking noise low.

The original bracket for the fuel tank lead to a misplaced fuel filler cap. I can not open the trunk cause the filler cap hit the trunk lid. Moving the tank 3cm to the front - with the new bracket - brings the filler cap in the correct position and the lid can be opened.
 
The rear lights on both sides are look the same. The connectors will be hidden under the carpet.
I the picture you see three white connectors and one with a clear housing. The clear one is to change the function of the second rear light into a fog light. Here in Germany we need a fog light.









The whole trunk:
Only the speaker cables are missing - but they will come through the trunk lid hinges.
The carpet will protect the pump.




No comments:

Post a Comment