Saturday 3 October 2015

42. Still the Electric Wiring

This task gets much bigger than I expected.
I started with the idea to reuse the existing harness.
Because the LHD change, I tried to mount the harness in a mirrored position. But the schematic I got did not fit to the real wiring and a lot of cables are mounted really confuse...
After 3 weeks of tinkering I grab the whole harness, pull it out of the car and burried it in bin
( OK, some of the wires were be reused, but not the whole harness  ;-)   )
That was the best idea I had in the last 3 weeks!

Now I started from scratch. Every wire can be placed like I want to have it. This garants the best fitting to my schematic.
After additional 4 weeks it looks even more chaotic - but every single wire is named and I know where it ends.

I made some tricky PCBs. Buying cheap electronic in China - here DC/DC converters - and mount them on a experimental PCB is cheaper, than to develop them yourself.
Now I am able to:
- adjust my light of the gauges
- have a stabilized power specially for the gauges
- have a security fuel pump relais which is controlled by the ignition ( thats not from China ! )
- adjust my foot area light ( thats a new gadget ! ...or a leftover LED light )
- power my mobile phone in the glovebox
- connect my mobile phone over bluetooth with the amplifier in the glovebox
- switch on a LED light in the glovebox
- lock my automatic seatbelts with a switch
The glove box contains the relais ( behind the black panel ) for the starter, the horn, the fuel pump and the front and rear screen heater. The amplifier find its place as well as a bluetooth-to-line in adapter. A rest of a LED band can be switched on to light up the glovebox and another one to light up the foot area. I did not test this, but I think it looks like the ambient light in the modern cars. Lets see...


The engine bay needs some attention, too.
The new harness is much smaller than the old one. I only need a harness on the right side of the engine bay. I used a monofilament fabric hose over each wire and the "backbone" is covered by a monofilament hose which can be closed with a velcro. Inside this backbone the mechanical oil pressure hose and the windscreen washer hose found its place as well.






The flip front needs a harness for the lights and the indicators and the horn. I used a tow bar connector to have to option to remove the front.

The back side of the car is the next job.
After that I have to test everything...




No comments:

Post a Comment