Sunday 10 November 2013

The Beginning

Hello,

with this blog I want to document the restauration of my Marcos Mantula.

My nick is SpringV8 and I am an 44 years old electronic technician living in the most south of Germany.

Why a Marcos?
 In 1995 I started my "garage career" with restorating an motor bike, a Swiss Egli.
After 17 years of driving and keep it shiny, I felt, that something had changed inside of me. I am no more able to enjoy the rides.
So I decided to sell it.  




Within this motorbike area, I owned a BMW M3 E30 for nearly 10 years. I modifyed it to a really competitive track car for hobby track days, slalom and hill climbs. Sold as well, cause not time due to the same reasons as everybody: Child, wife and house.




No motorbike, no race car - why not look for a classic car with racing genes.

So I had a search for all the different classic car companys.
BMW, Alfa, Fiat, ... not the right types,
Ginetta, TVR, Triumph,... better
Marcos...
- rare vehicles
- powerfull and interesting engines
- technics is similar to old race cars

- technics is managable without speciale equipment

OK, lets start to look for a Marcos...

After several months and some missed bargains I found one in Holland .


The advertise showed 8 pics with "Marcos Mantara V8" in the header and the sentence: ...I do not know anything about this car.." and the standard info about build date and so.
But the previous owner was very friendly on the phone.
Ten hours driving one way and we - a good friend joind me - saw him for the first time.
The first impression was good. The engine was starting after some attempts, but the clutch does not work. The clutch master cylinder was gone...
No test drive possible.
The 4 original wheels are included as well.
A thick folder with all the original bills and documentations was there, too.

We found an agreement and I bought the car.
With a big smile in my tired face we drove back to South Germany...

After two weeks I got a parcel from Holland with the top of the pedal box- we missed it and another folder with the complete build manual of the car.
-->Thank you Bart, it was a pleasure to do this deal with you



No comments:

Post a Comment