Monday 23 May 2016

51. A lot of jobs

As the finishing line can be seen, a lot of jobs come up.

When I want to change a gear, I had to press the clutch pedal for about 30cm. After 10cm the clutch is released. Too long pedal way.
Horror.
First step was to vent the clutch hydraulic again, but this does not fix the long pedal travel. I had an other idea. I screwed out the clevis so the pedal is 9cm nearer to the driver. Then a screw on the pedal box push the pedal back to its place next to the break pedal. I know, why I welded a nut next to each pedal ...


The gear lever was still uncovered in the center console. I glued in a leather one.
















To be prepared for some test drives a basic setup of  the axle geometries has to be done. I decided to do it roughly by myself. A friend lend me his tools for wheelbase, toe and camber setup.
I adjusted the wheelbase to the same size left and right. Then I set a light toe-in on the front and a camber of 1.5° on each side. Maybe 1.5° is a little too much, but so the wheels will be covered better by the fenders...


The doors have to be finished. As Mr. Brilliant dropped a side screen the glas exploded in million parts. I did not even try to get a new window screen. I odered a piece of macrolon in the same bronce color with a scratch-resistant coating from www.gropp-racing.de. They are the "standard" supplier of macrolon windows for nearly all motorsport guys in Germany. Looks good, is much lighter and - I think - cheaper than glas.


Next issue I had was the Holley carb. I had no idle on low rpms. I tried "everything" ( evrything is here too much to list - even there will be listed a lot of bad bad words about American carburators ...) but nothing fixed it. The first step to find a solution was, when I had seen, that fuel is dropping from the right venturi funnel onto the throttle flap. On the left side you saw a nice even spray. Unmount, clean it up, mount and test - and again and again and agian...
Until I found a note in the web about the metering block. Inside the metering block is a fuel well which can not be cleaned without removing the brass plugs.
A new chance...
Drill in a small hole, turn in a screw and pull out the plug. I cleand the block and the mixing tube as good as I can ( by the way, I did not find any dirt...). The plug I closed with a soldering iron and pressed it in again. Mount it again and press carefully the start button in the engine bay ( glad to have it ! ) and it runs !
Now I was able to set a stable idle of 1000 rpm at an ignition of 7° BTC.
Sounds good...


One of the lovely jobs was to try the new wheels. They are 7 x 15 ET 30 with 205 / 50 15 Federal RSR semi slicks. On the front I used additional 25mm spacers on each side.
Look good and rolls.


These jobs are not all by far - I think I write nothing new to you !
So, focus the finishing line an go go go...






No comments:

Post a Comment