Friday 20 June 2014

20. The rear axle

The rear axle was sand blasted and primed since weeks...
Now it got a black semi-matt finish which fits perfectly to the black zinc coating of the break ancor plate.




I got new slave cylinders - it was not easy, but one dealer had some spares.
You see a break line distributor. I have added it cause I want to bleed each side individually.
I have tack welded some nuts for fixing the break lines with P-clips.

The break line ist crimped and mounted.


As I mounted the ancor plate I sawm that the 4 metric M8 screws look not good. They are bend and twisted. It were only 8.8 M8 screws not 10.9 ones. But I bought 8 of them to fix it well.



A steal braided hose is used as flexible connection.

To mount the axle I have to remove the ancor plate of one side to slide in the axle in the frame.

I decided to use poly bushes for the trailing arms. SuperPro has a set especially for Marcos GT.
The normal rear axle is the same on a Mantula as on a 3.0 GT, but mine has the option of the anti bump steer and the normal poly bushes will not fit. I got a lot of crafty hints how to mount them - but it did not fit.
A inner diameter of 21.5mm in the trailing arm and a 24mm outer diameter of the poly bush - never.
Other poly bushes are available - 14€ for each (16 are needed ) and 8-10 weeks for delivery.
Not a real alternative.
What I have is a lathe. My dealer Timms Autoteile gave me some hints and so I found a description from Super Pro how to machine polyurethane on a lathe. Find it here.

The first test was sobering.
Right is original.
Middle was tested with a carbide insert tool. Did not work.
Left bush was treated with sanding paper until it was too hot to touch. No effect.

I have to grind my own lathe tool.
It is sharp like a good knife. Cutting paper is an easy job.
For the poly bushes it worked OK. The surface is not perfect, but the dimensions of 22.5mm outer diameter was a easy job.
No freezing or oiling was needed.

I did not have a pic from the result after the lathe job, but here you see the bushes after pressed - or better slidded in in the trailing arm.





2 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Wow what a project... You're doing brilliantly and writing in a non-native language too!

    Well done, and looking forward to seeing the end result.

    Cheers,

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chad,
      thanks you.
      Where do you come from ?
      If you like a non-native writing style, it will not be UK, or ?

      Regards
      SpringV8

      Delete