Friday 20 December 2013

5. The engine has to leave

Now the engine has to leave his place.
After I have done a lot of measures about the geometry of the frame and its reinforcement, the time has come to pull out that heavy beast ( maybe it is one - I havent driven it until now ).

First, removing all the break lines and the clips, the driveshaft and the loosen the gearbox and the engine itself.


Lucky me ! The dolly fits...

The be able to move the frame ealily, I hav emounted rolls on the front and the rear. This are rolls from a hospital bed and they are strong enough to move the frame including the engine and gearbox.
They are mounted on a wooden beam to rise the frame over the lifter.
OK, the rear ones do their job for half an hour before they bump against the lifter, tilt slowly and let the frame drop down on the lifter.
Lightwight has it price ! 
They were mounted (and build) in a few seconds.

One sentence to the engine...
As I removed the exaust manifolds, I see the port in the head. "Facetious outlet..." I think as I see this little hole.
Here is a picture of the Rover V8 stage original ( ? ) compared to a ported BMW M3 S14 outlet:
Both pictures were scaled to the same size - see the 8mm bolts.

Now you understand the little teardrop in my eye as I saw this exaust port...
but seconds later
You could see the broad grin in my face: Easily earned horsepower !!!



1 comment:

  1. brilliant, informative and humorous, i am in awe of the work you have done!

    ReplyDelete